- To work for the welfare of school children, the advancement of education, and the improvement of instructional opportunities for all.
- To cooperate with community organizations in interpreting the functions, problems, and progress in the public schools.
- To encourage teachers to exercise their rights and privileges as citizens and to accept willingly leadership in civic affairs.
- To develop and promote the adoption of such ethical practices, personnel policies, and standards of preparation and participation as mark a profession.
- To enable members to speak with a common voice on matters pertaining to the education profession, and to present individual and common interests before the Boards of Education and other legal authorities.
- To unify and strengthen the education profession, to secure and maintain competitive salaries, retirement, due process, professional and sick leave and to support professional work conditions.