Who We Are
WHERE TEACHERS HELP TEACHERS by improving education through an active voice.
CTA was founded in 1945 to provide educators a viable alternative in professional organizations. We are the only proactive voice for teachers in North Carolina. For you, our members, this means that you have an organization which is engaged daily at the grass roots level. Together, we can make a difference!
We are listening. And we are effecting change. What We Offer
Liability Insurance – CTA offers the same insurance coverage as other professional organizations for less than 1/3 the cost! Our insurance provides $1,000,000 professional liability insurance per member, plus the cost of defense, investigation and legal fees arising out of a member’s duties as a professional educator. Any member requiring legal advice has access to our local attorney upon recommendation of CTA’s president.
A Legislative Voice – CTA offers local representation before elected bodies on pertinent educational issues. Additionally, we retain a lobbyist in Raleigh who provides legislative updates to our members and representation on the state level.
Communications – CTA communicates via newsletters, an interactive website, and regular meetings. We also have a staffed office that responds promptly to emails, phone calls, and member requests. Our Purpose
- To work for the welfare of school children, the advancement of education, and the improvement of instructional opportunities for all.
- To cooperate with community organizations in interpreting the functions, problems, and progress in the public schools.
- To encourage teachers to exercise their rights and privileges as citizens and to seek leadership in civic affairs.
- To develop and promote the adoption of ethical practices, personnel policies, and standards of preparation.
- To enable members to speak with a common voice on matters pertaining to the education profession and to present individual and common interests before the Boards of Education and other legal authorities.
- To unify and strengthen the education profession, to secure and maintain competitive salaries, retirement, due process, professional & sick leave, and to support professional working conditions.